Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Getting more pumped, and over the jitters

I just got back from church where my pastor talked about closing the door to the past. It can be good things, or bad things, that haunt us or hold us back from trying or succeeding in our future. He talked about feeling uncertain about trying to lose weight again, because he "has lost a ton in the past, then gained 1 1/2 tons so many times in the past. Or, maybe we feel bad because we used to have such a good handle on our eating/exercising choices, and now we feel like we've lost control. Therefore, our past looks better than we fear our future will be, i.e., we may never have that control or motivation again.
Nevertheless, I am getting more pumped up mentally (which is 90% of the battle), and not looking at the things that make me nervous about this change. The sermon helped in that I know that I don't have to do this alone, and I have every reason to expect victory. My past failures don't have to dictate my future. I need to visualize myself how I want to be at the end of my goal and believe it. The picture on this blog is reasonably close to the size I would like to be, but much healthier and fit. I don't look like that now! I don't know if this blog will ever help anyone else, but it helps me to journal my feelings and thoughts related to this journey. Hopefully, it will keep me accountable and on track.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good sermon at church. So often our failures of the past hold us back for what we are doing now.

    Being mentally ready and realizing that the past doesn't dictate the future is a sound beginning to a new start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's a great sermon. Personally, I suffered from a lot of issues in the past. I wish I had known then what I know now. Thankfully, I've learned to let a lot of things go. It's all a part of growing and becoming older. I really like being older. LOL!

    Like Steve says, the past doesn't haveto dictate the present or future. We can change our lives by simply changing our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure, Charla, success in exercise, weight loss, etc... has so much to do with the mental aspect of things. Motivation is so important!

    Great sermon, too. How timely, huh? For me it's so funny how often the week's sermon at my church speaks directly to something I'm struggling with!

    ReplyDelete